We are very pleased to announce that the 2020 Conference will be held in conjunction with the International meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. Opportunities to participate in an academic conference with a substantial number of international scholars is not common in Australia and New Zealand, so we are very excited by the prospect of meeting with ISBL. The possibility exists that ANZATS might be able to offer joint sessions with SBL in biblical and related fields. Apart from any joint sessions, ANZATS streams (in Bible, theology, history, theological education, and practical ministry) will run parallel to those of SBL.
There are nine ANZATS streams you might consider submitting a paper to. Proposal abstracts should be no more than 250 words in length and include your full name and academic title, institutional affiliation, and email address. We will require full papers in the New and Emerging Scholars streams. Anyone can present a paper in ANZATS sessions.
Proposals for each of the following streams should be sent directly to the coordinator listed below by Friday 13 December. This is far earlier than due dates for ANZATS conferences.
The program for ISBL with ANZATS will be finalised by SBL by the end of January 2020.
Members of SBL can, of course, propose papers directly to SBL through their website: https://www.sbl-site.org/
The ANZATS streams we have chosen for Adelaide with their coordinators and email addresses are listed below.
We are repeating the New and Emerging Scholars stream and will again be offering three scholarships worth $800 each to successful applicants. Applicants must show evidence that they are currently enrolled in a Higher Degree by Research course at a member institution of ANZATS or have completed their doctoral degree at a member institution within the last two years. Applicants should indicate in their covering email whether they would like to be considered for a scholarship. They should also attach an academic reference from their supervisor or employer.
1. LUKAN SCHOLARSHIP: Coordinator — Dr Sarah Harris email@example.com
2. THEOLOGICAL EDUCATION: Coordinator — Cathy Harris firstname.lastname@example.org
3. BARTH STUDIES: Coordinator — Dr Michael O’Neil email@example.com
4. ISSUES IN PRACTICAL MINISTRY: Coordinator — Dr Anne Mallaby firstname.lastname@example.org
5. APOCALYPTIC LITERATURE: Coordinator — Dr Jon Newton email@example.com
6. STUDIES IN WORSHIP AND LITURGY: Coordinator — Dr Kieran Crichton firstname.lastname@example.org
7. NEW AND EMERGING SCHOLARS: Coordinator — Dr Myk Habets email@example.com
8. CHRISTIAN THOUGHT AND HISTORY: Coordinators — Dr Graeme Chatfield, Dr Myk Habets, and Dr Michael O’Neil firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
9. BIBLICAL STUDIES: Coordinator — Dr Catherine Playoust email@example.com
10. WORLD CHRISTIANITY AND DIASPORA THEOLOGY: Co-coordinators — Graham Hill, Xiaoli Yang (Whitley College) and Darrell Jackson (Whitley College) firstname.lastname@example.org
Further etails can be found at https://anzats.edu.au/